Thursday, August 11, 2011

Slipcover Bad, Reupholster Good

Hated the slipcover from Overstock, and it is going back!  It is way too big for my chair and it's not white.  See how it clashes with the rug?  I was stuck at a dead end with not much time, and I really wanted this awesome chair to be a focal point in the nursery.  I had decided on a cute green for the side table with a turquoise glass base lamp, so this muted peony pattern is just not cutting it at all!

While at my little sister's gorgeous baby shower last Saturday, I told our cousin and professional designer, Laura, about my predicament.  She said, "Why aren't you reupholstering it yourself?"  The truth is I thought that was a project completely out of my range of skill!  Of course, at 36 weeks pregnant I ran right out to Joann's last Sunday and promptly found an awesome fabric at 60% off!  Ding ding ding ding!!!!  I felt like I had won the lottery.  It is by Baringer and it is called "Peacock".  I love it! 


We've already carefully removed all the old fabric, and I have cut each section of fabric using the old pieces as a pattern.  I've also begun to staple the bottom kick piece, and it looks very professional if I do say so myself.  Joann's only had 4 & 7/8ths yards of this left and none in the warehouse.  I had just enough fabric,  the perfect amount with not much at all left over, so I guess it was meant to be. 
Here is a good look at my CL chair before & after:
 
Before
 
After






1 comment: